Thursday, August 6, 2015

Wawa Kale and Quinoa Salad

For those that may not know, Wawa is a convenience store/gas station in the East Coast.  They make awesome subs and have great coffee.  I first discovered this salad when we were heading home from a dance competition.  I was hungry but not in the mood for a sub.  So I walked over to the cold case to see what I could find and, too my surprise, saw the Kale and Quinoa salad.  I wasn't expecting much but it turned out to be so delicious.  It is so good that I now crave it and try to angle for Wawa stops during our summer travels.  Sadly, the last time we went they were out so I looked around my kitchen to see if I could make it myself.



Serving:1 person

Ingredients: 

1/2 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
1/2 cup apple, chopped
1/2 cup yellow pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp dried cranberries
2 Tbsp goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup baby kale or regular kale cut to bite sized pieces
2 Tbsp Champagne Vinaigrette (Recipe at EatingWell.com)

Note: If your grocery store has a bulk food section, like Wegmans, buy the cranberries out of the bin.  They are juicer than the pre-bagged kind, like craisins.

Note 2:  You can add rotisserie or baked chicken for protein. 

Directions:
  1. In your dish layer the ingredients in the following order: quinoa, apples, peppers, cranberries, goat cheese, kale.
  2. Top with dressing if eating immediately.  If eating later, add the dressing right before.
1.5 green, 1/2 purple, 1 yellow, 1/2 blue, 1 orange (1 red, if you add chicken)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...