Wednesday, December 31, 2014

American Antipasto






When planning our meals for Christmas Day I decided to keep lunch simple.  We are usually so stuffed from breakfast that we can't even think about eating again but I wanted to offer something to keep our blood sugar up.  During my planning I saw an episode of Barefoot Contessa where Ina Garten made a Ploughman's Lunch from London. 
Ploughman's Lunch
Picture from Food Network
The Ploughman's lunch reminded me of an Italian Antipasto spread.  An Antipasto platter that usually has cured meats such as salami, olives, artichoke hearts, mozzarella, roasted red peppers and breadsticks. I love it but my kids would not eat most of it so I shy away from making it.  So I came up with the idea of turning our normal spread into one simple platter. (See how my brain worked there)  It was perfect for the five of us.

American Antipasto
1/2 small stick of Summer Sausage, sliced and cut slices in half
1/2 block of Cheddar, cubed
Crackers - Use your favorite.  I used Stone Ground wheat crackers and Whole Grain Saltines
1/2 log of goat cheese
Hummus (Less Antipasto and more Mediterranean Mezze, I know but we all love it)
Almonds
Grapes
Grape Tomatoes
Baby Carrots
(I had pita chips too but forgot about them.)

I placed items on the platter that would pair well but you could do it however you wanted.

Pairing Ideas:
Summer Sausage and Cheddar
Cheddar and Crackers
Veggies and Hummus
Goat Cheese and Grapes
Grapes and Almonds

It totally hit the spot and took the edge off before dinner.  This would be great as a light lunch, part of a brunch or as an appetizer.

Mangia!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...