Friday, March 29, 2013

50 States; 50 Meals: Arkansas

Arkansas was the first state where I felt out of my element but it turned out to a Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.
Here is the menu:
Baked "Fried" Chicken
Arkansas Green Beans
Mashed Potatoes
Biscuits

Baked "Fried" Pickles was also on the menu but time got away from me so I scratched them. No one in the fam was excited about them. The girls are not huge pickle fans and fried pickles remind my husband of a bad night in Nashville (that sounds like a country song) so I thought why stress trying to it get it done.

The fried chicken and green beans were so good. The green beans were simple to throw together. Just cans (I prefer fresh or frozen but the recipe called for cans and my girls prefer canned), bacon, butter, soy sauce, garlic powder and brown sugar. You microwave the bacon before baking. I was worried that it would make the bacon rubbery but it crisped up in the oven. My husband said the green beans needed to become a staple in our house. They would be great for potlucks, as a side dish when taking someone a meal and great for holidays. If you are still planning your Easter menu I would highly recommend these.

Now the chicken was good but there is room for improvement in my preparation. I shook off too much flour but it had awesome flavor. It was KFC-esque. I think I will try this recipe with tenderloins next time. It was nice to have the chicken cook consistently and not be stuck by the stove flipping chicken so it didn't burn.


20130329-155829.jpg
Way to Arkansas! We loved this meal.

Next week are eating California style. I'll be serving up one of my favorite salads.

1 comment:

  1. mikie1254@gmail.comMarch 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM

    Neat. I LOLed at the country song line. I can't wait to see what your favorite salad is. Is it the one from Carmine's? Good job!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...