Saturday, May 4, 2013

50 States; 50 Meals: Delaware

I'm behind!  Life got so busy all of a sudden.  My oldest and I went camping with her Daisy troop last weekend so instead of blogging I was preparing for the trip.  Ugh camping!  You need so much for one night.  The girls had so much fun.  They can't wait to do it again.  We have also added swimming lessons to our Tuesdays.  Tuesdays were our best days to cook the 50 meals dinner so now we are on a rotating schedule.

But back to Delaware!  My father's family is from Delaware.  When I think of foods from Delaware I think of Thanksgiving dinners, chicken and dumplings, lima beans and scrapple.  My research suggested Vinegar French Fries, aka Boardwalk fries, and broiler chickens.

I am a little confused as to why I was pointed to I was pointed in the direction of the boardwalk fries as my research showed these fries were created by a man named J.T. Thrashers.  Any good Marylander knows the first Thrashers was opened in Ocean City, MD.  There is a Thrashers in Rehobeth Beach, DE but it was not the birthplace of the best type of french fry, in my opinion. Get the full history story here.

Cooking these boardwalk fries brought back memories of me and my dad getting a big bucket of fries and then sitting down to people watch.  I was excited that they turned out so well.  I used the left overs to make cheese fries, yummo!

IMG_1830Vinegar French Fries


We had broiled chicken with our french fries.  Broiled chicken is prepared using a smaller bird called a "broiler".  The broiler chicken industry started in Sussex County during the 1920's.  It is also where the Dealware Blue Hens mascots gets its name.  We were only able to find a kosher broiler chicken at our Wegmans.  It smelled so bad after opening the packaging that I couldn't get close enough to even prepare the chicken as instructed in the recipe.  So we followed plan B as suggested in the recipe and used a regular quartered chicken.  The skin came out so crispy it was better than rotisserie! One of the chicken breasts was so large I was able to make two cups of chicken salad.

IMG_1831

Broiled Chicken

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...