Saturday, August 10, 2013

50 States; 50 Meals: Maryland



I don't think my husband and I can hear someone say crabcakes with out saying that line from Wedding Crashers.  We ate from our home state of Maryland this week and how fitting was it that this week was the start of Preseason football.

There doesn't appear to a rule to the recipe for a Maryland Crabcake which has been unheard of in the other states.  The must haves seem to be, well, crab, mayonnaise and Worcestershire.  Other than that anything goes.  Crackers vs. Breadcrumbs; Milk vs No Milk; Dry Mustard vs. Dijon Mustard; Veggies vs No Veggies.  You don't even have to be consistent with the type of crab.  You just need a pound.  And it doesn't stop there.  You have choices when you sauce your crabcake.  There's lemon, remoulade, tartar sauce, mustard, cocktail sauce or ketchup.  (Please don't use ketchup or mustard for that matter)  There is also two ways to prepare the crabcakes.  There is "Boardwalk" way or the "Restaurant" way.  The crabcakes are breaded and deep fried the Boardwalk way.  The Restaurant way uses lump crab and uses little to no filler.

Really, Maryland?  Take a vote and pick "the" recipe.  With so many choices I was so happy I could turn to my friend Angie and ask her for her recipe.  Angie and her family are awesome crabbers and awesome crab cookers!  I was so jealous when I bought my can of crab.  Why?  Because they never buy crab.  They catch them.

I have never been able to make a pretty crabcake in the past but I think I pulled it off this time.  Must have been the excellent coaching I received.

[caption id="attachment_771" align="aligncenter" width="224"]IMG_0143 Maryland Crabcake[/caption]

Angie's Crabcake Recipe




[caption id="attachment_782" align="alignright" width="150"]index Natty bOh[/caption]

Of course, we needed to wash that crabcake down with something.  Why not a beer originally brewed in Baltimore?  National Bohemian AKA Natty Boh.  Or if you are an Orioles fan AKA Natty bOh.  Or for federal employees AKA Furlough Beer because of the cheap price tag.


We finished off the meal with a slice of Smith Island Cake.  This cake is popular for its many layers.  The cake can have between 8 to 15 layers.  There is a layer of creme or frosting in between each layer and then frosted with a fudge frosting.  I was so excited to find out that one of our grocery stores sells actual Smith Island cakes.  I ordered an original vanilla and chocolate.  When the lady asked if I wanted the small I didn't picture it being this small but with the fudge icing being so thick it was perfect for our family of four.  I was just sad there wasn't leftovers.


IMG_0141IMG_0142IMG_0147


Next we head back to New England for a wicked good dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...