Saturday, August 3, 2013

50 States; 50 Meals: Maine

This week we headed to New England and made a Maine meal. You can't have Maine meal without Lobstah!
We had Lobster Rolls. Not being a fan of celery I searched and searched for a recipe that would prove that you don't have to have celery to have a good Lobster roll. I actually found a few but the day before our State dinner night I got emailed a pretty simple recipe from Spoonful by Disney. This recipe actually spoke to me because the first thing it said was that there are many lobster rolls and they all claim to be right. I already felt more comfortable about not having celery. I did have all the other necessary components. We had the New England style hot dog rolls, the lobster (of course) and mayonnaise.


20130803-163837.jpg

I used frozen lobster to keep our grocery bill down. My husband is a furloughed federal employee.
Side Note: we have been able to keep our food bill down by using recipes from the Born Free blog.
My girls actually enjoyed the lobster before I add the mayo to it. I couldn't really blame them for liking the lobster in its natural form. I had a hard time with the texture of the hot dog roll with the lobster. My hubby liked it.

Along side the lobster rolls we had B&M Baked Beans. Burnham and Morrill Company is based out of Maine. They began packing their brick oven beans in the 1920's. We had never had this brand before. They were good beans.

For desert we had Whoopie Pies! Whoopie Pies are two chocolate cake like cookies with cream in the middle. There is some argument of who can claim the Whoppie Pie. Maine or Pennsylvania. Maine went ahead and made the the Whoopie Pie it's official state treat. I totally used the Pillsbury Kit.


20130803-173708.jpg

Next up we head to another state known for its crustacean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...