Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving Spread

The other day I made a list of all the different items we have at our family's Thanksgiving. We have around 15 different items for Thanksgiving dinner. That is not even counting the appetizer (if we even bother) and desserts. Yes, there is an S on desserts! We have so much food that we have yet to find plates that allow you to load up on everything the first round. My family always tries to call me out for going back for seconds when I'm really just going back to get everything I couldn't fit the first time. So technically it's not seconds it's still firsts.
Every year I'm in charge of bringing Cucumber Salad. It is super easy. Just cucumbers, onion, vinegar, sugar and water. The trick is you have to (yes, have to) use a mandolin to slice your cucumbers. The thinner the better!

3 medium cucumbers, peeled & thinly sliced
1 medium sweet onion, sliced thin and separated into rings
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar, or more to taste

Layer cucumbers with the onion in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients, stirring until sugar has dissolved.

Taste and adjust sugar for sweetness, adding more sugar, if needed. Pour over vegetables and toss lightly.

Cover and chill for 2-4 hours or overnight before serving.

I'll add a picture after I make it.

We are so blessed to have an ever growing family but it was creating one problem... We were starting to run out of mashed potatoes! What are leftovers without mashed potatoes!! So last year I brought along some Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes as a back up. My mom first brought these to my house for Christmas dinner. We were a little worried they would be dry but they are de-li-cious!


20121115-171922.jpg
It is a Betty Crocker recipe. They would be a BIG help for any busy cook on Thanksgiving or any other holiday, a party, potluck, weekday meal or just love mashed potatoes so much you just want to keep them on hand.

I just love Thanksgiving. The meal, the family and no pressure of gift giving.
Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Please make cucumber salad for Christmas! I agree it's only firsts. XXOO

    * Mom

    *(757)514-1496 www.DosseyDesigns.com

    *

    * * * * * *** * * * * * * *

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This is a Vape Blogs smokclub brings together vapalien the best e-cigarette products currently on the market, the latest reviews, player discussions and discounts esmokvapor
    "

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...