Thursday, March 7, 2013

What is American food?

One day I innocently enough told my girls we were having "Italian" for dinner. They answered me with how they knew what Italian food was and they knew what Mexican food was but asked what was American food. I listed hamburgers, hot dogs and fried chicken and then thought that there has to be more. So we decided to tour the 50 states eating a different dinner with the popular foods from each state. I first thought about starting in the east and eating our way out west but lobster is not really in season so Maine was out. We changed the plan to going in alphabetically. This also helped break up the different regions since they tend to have similar flavors.
Disclosure: When choosing my menus I have been trying to stay figure, kid, busy mom and wallet friendly.
I have been collecting my menu ideas on my Pinterest board.

So first up is Alabama!

Alabama Menu

Smoked Sausage - I used turkey
Fried Corn
Cheese Grits
Corn Bread
(By this point was the turkey sausage really necessary.)






20130307-171014.jpg

We will have to revisit Alabama this summer and have Fried Green Tomatoes!

Next up is Alaska and my version of a Baked Alaska.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...